An area of student needs, involving difficulty with changes.
• Determine the student’s transition needs and develop a transition plan on the student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) with parents/guardians and the student.
• Use a visual schedule and timer for daily transitions.
• Provide advance notice of changes.
• Teach calming strategies.
• Use photos of new places.
• Visit the website of fieldtrip locations to familiarize the student with it ahead of time.
• Visit new environments many times ahead of the change.
• Use a calendar or agenda to plan for changes.
• Use social stories.
• Have familiar staff accompany the student in new environments.
• Take familiar items to new situations.